Buca di Beppo Meatballs recipe: Learn how to make these delicious and juicy meatballs at home with this easy-to-follow recipe. Serve with your favorite pasta and marinara sauce for a family-friendly meal that everyone will love.
Buca di Beppo meatball is a popular Italian-American dish that is served at Buca di Beppo, a national chain of family-style Italian restaurants. It is a traditional meatball made from a blend of ground beef and ground pork, combined with bread crumbs, eggs, Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and minced garlic.
The mixture is seasoned with salt and black pepper to taste, and then formed into meatballs, which are typically about 2 inches in diameter.
The meatballs are then cooked in a combination of olive oil and butter until they are browned on all sides, which helps to seal in the juices and flavors.
Once the meatballs are browned, they are transferred to a baking dish and covered with tomato sauce.
The meatballs are then baked in the oven until they are fully cooked through and the tomato sauce has thickened and become flavorful.
Buca di Beppo meatballs are typically served as a main dish, either on their own or with a side of pasta or vegetables.
They are known for their hearty and savory flavor, which comes from the combination of the beef and pork, as well as the flavorful seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
The dish is a classic Italian-American comfort food that is enjoyed by many, and is often served at family gatherings and special occasions.
Ready for a delicious and authentic Buca di Beppo meatball recipe? Look no further! Our recipe is packed with flavor and simple to make. Perfect as a main dish or paired with pasta or veggies, these meatballs are sure to be a hit at your next family dinner or gathering. Try it out today!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, eggs, milk, salt, and black pepper. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Form the mixture into meatballs about 2 inches in diameter.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the meatballs to the skillet and cook until browned on all sides, about 10-12 minutes.
- Once the meatballs are browned, transfer them to a baking dish and pour the tomato sauce over them.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve the meatballs hot, garnished with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley if desired.
Rated: 5.0 of 5.0 from 25 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Buca Di Beppo Meatball, Buca Di Beppo Meatball Recipe, Recipe
Buca di Beppo meatballs are typically served hot and fresh out of the oven, either on their own as a main dish or paired with a side of pasta or vegetables. Here are some ideas for serving Buca di Beppo-style meatballs:
- As a main dish: Place several meatballs on a plate, and spoon some of the tomato sauce over them. Garnish with additional grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, if desired.
- With pasta: Cook your favorite type of pasta, such as spaghetti or penne, and toss it with some of the tomato sauce. Place several meatballs on top of the pasta, and garnish with additional grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, if desired.
- As a sandwich: Slice a fresh baguette or hoagie roll, and place a few meatballs and some of the tomato sauce on the bread. Top with shredded mozzarella cheese and broil in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- With vegetables: Serve the meatballs alongside your favorite roasted or sautéed vegetables, such as broccoli, green beans, or roasted red peppers. Drizzle some of the tomato sauce over the vegetables and meatballs for added flavor.
- Use a combination of ground beef and ground pork: This will give the meatballs a rich, savory flavor and a tender texture.
- Add breadcrumbs and eggs: These ingredients will help bind the meatballs together and keep them from falling apart while cooking.
- Use fresh herbs and Parmesan cheese: Fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese will add flavor and depth to the meatballs.
- Brown the meatballs before baking: This step is important to seal in the juices and flavor of the meatballs.
- Use a good quality tomato sauce: Choose a high-quality, flavorful tomato sauce for the best results.
- Cook the meatballs in a baking dish: This will allow the meatballs to cook evenly and absorb the flavors of the tomato sauce.
- Let the meatballs rest before serving: Allow the meatballs to rest for a few minutes after baking to ensure they are fully cooked through and to let the flavors meld together.
- Ground meat: You can use ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef and pork if you prefer a leaner option. Alternatively, you could use a vegetarian meat substitute like tofu or tempeh for a meatless version.
- Breadcrumbs: If you don’t have breadcrumbs on hand, you can make your own by toasting slices of bread in the oven or on the stovetop and then pulsing them in a food processor until they are finely ground. Alternatively, you can use crushed crackers or panko breadcrumbs as a substitute.
- Parmesan cheese: If you don’t have grated Parmesan cheese, you can use another hard, salty cheese like Pecorino Romano or Asiago instead.
- Herbs: Fresh parsley is a key ingredient in this recipe, but you can use other herbs like basil, oregano, or thyme if you prefer.
- Tomato sauce: You can use a homemade or store-bought tomato sauce for this recipe, or substitute with canned crushed tomatoes or diced tomatoes for a chunkier sauce.
One thing you may want to consider is the equipment you will need to make Buca di Beppo-style meatballs. Here are some items you will likely need:
- Mixing bowl: You will need a large mixing bowl to combine the ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, eggs, Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, and seasonings.
- Baking dish: You will need a large baking dish to cook the meatballs in. A 9×13 inch baking dish is a good size for this recipe.
- Oven: You will need an oven to bake the meatballs.
- Cooking utensils: You will need a spatula or tongs to flip the meatballs while they are cooking, and a large spoon to stir the tomato sauce.
- Meat thermometer: To ensure the meatballs are fully cooked, you may want to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. The USDA recommends a minimum temperature of 160°F (71°C) for ground beef and ground pork.
- Serving dishes: You will need plates or bowls to serve the meatballs in, as well as utensils for eating.
Additionally, you may want to consider doubling or even tripling the recipe if you are feeding a larger group or want to have leftovers. Buca di Beppo-style meatballs are a great dish for meal prep or freezing for later use.
Buca di Beppo-style meatballs are a classic Italian-American dish that are hearty, flavorful, and perfect for any occasion.
By following the tips and recipe provided, you can make these delicious meatballs at home and enjoy them with your family and friends.
Whether you serve them on their own or with pasta, vegetables, or bread, Buca di Beppo-style meatballs are sure to become a favorite in your household.