Bibingka Bisaya is a delicious and popular Filipino rice cake that’s enjoyed by many. This sweet and sticky treat is traditionally served during special occasions, such as Christmas or Easter, and is a staple dessert in many Filipino households.
Bibingka Bisaya is a type of rice cake that is popular in the Visayas region of the Philippines. It is similar to other types of bibingka, but it is made with different ingredients and has a distinct taste.
The main ingredients of Bibingka Bisaya include ground glutinous rice, coconut milk, and sugar. The mixture is poured into a banana leaf-lined baking dish and then topped with cheese and salted egg. It is then baked in a preheated oven until it is fully cooked and the cheese and salted egg on top are slightly browned.
Bibingka Bisaya is often served as a dessert or a snack, and it is especially popular during special occasions and holidays, such as Christmas and Easter. It is usually enjoyed hot and is often paired with a hot beverage, such as coffee or hot chocolate.
- 2 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- 2 salted eggs, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a mixing bowl, combine the glutinous rice flour, all-purpose flour, and sugar. Mix well.
- Add the coconut milk and eggs to the dry ingredients. Mix until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the melted butter.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch baking dish lined with banana leaves.
- Top the batter with grated cheese and sliced salted eggs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Note: Some variations of this recipe call for using young coconut strips, sometimes called “macapuno,” instead of cheese and salted egg on top. You can adjust the toppings to your preference. Also, make sure to use glutinous rice flour instead of regular rice flour to achieve the desired sticky and chewy texture.
Bingka Recipe Bisaya
This is a video about Bingka Recipe Bisaya.
Video Credits: INDAI ALLYN Simple Life Cooking
Rated: 4.7 of 5.0 from 6 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Bingka Recipe Bisaya, Bingka Recipe, Recipe
- Top with butter – While still hot, spread a generous amount of butter on top of the Bibingka Bisaya. The butter will melt and mix with the cheese and salted egg to create a delicious flavor.
- Pair with savory snacks – Bibingka Bisaya is a sweet dessert, but its cheesy and salty toppings make it a good pairing for savory snacks, such as roasted peanuts or fried fish.
- Share with friends and family – Bibingka Bisaya is often served during special occasions, such as Christmas or Easter, and is a favorite among Filipinos. Sharing it with friends and family is a great way to enjoy this tasty treat and create lasting memories.
- Serve with hot drinks – Bibingka Bisaya is often paired with hot drinks, such as coffee, hot chocolate, or tea. The warm drink complements the warm Bibingka Bisaya, creating a comforting and satisfying experience.
- Use fresh ingredients – Make sure that all of your ingredients are fresh and of high quality. This will ensure that your Bibingka Bisaya tastes its best.
- Preheat the oven – Preheat your oven before you start making the batter. This will ensure that the oven is at the correct temperature when it’s time to bake your Bibingka Bisaya.
- Use a banana leaf-lined baking dish – To get the authentic flavor and texture of Bibingka Bisaya, use a baking dish lined with banana leaves. This will give your Bibingka Bisaya a unique flavor and aroma.
- Follow the recipe – Bibingka Bisaya is a traditional Filipino dessert, and there are many variations of the recipe. Follow the recipe closely to ensure that your Bibingka Bisaya turns out as intended.
- Top with cheese and salted eggs – Bibingka Bisaya is traditionally topped with cheese and salted eggs. Use these toppings to add a salty and savory flavor to your Bibingka Bisaya.
- Bake until golden brown – Bake your Bibingka Bisaya until it’s golden brown on top. This will ensure that the cake is fully cooked and has a crispy, slightly caramelized exterior.
- Use the right type of rice flour – The key ingredient in Bibingka Bisaya is glutinous rice flour. Be sure to use the correct type of rice flour, as regular rice flour will not yield the same texture.
- Serve warm – Bibingka Bisaya is best served warm. Reheat it in the oven or microwave before serving, and enjoy it with a hot cup of coffee or tea.
- Glutinous rice flour – This is a special type of rice flour made from glutinous or sticky rice. It is the key ingredient for Bibingka Bisaya, and there is no direct substitute for it.
- All-purpose flour – This flour adds structure and texture to the cake. You can substitute it with cake flour or rice flour if you prefer a lighter texture.
- Sugar – This is used to sweeten the cake. You can use brown sugar or honey as a substitute, but keep in mind that they have a different flavor profile.
- Coconut milk – This adds richness and flavor to the cake. You can substitute it with regular milk, but the flavor will be different.
- Eggs – These add structure and richness to the cake. There is no direct substitute for eggs, but you can try using applesauce or mashed bananas as an egg substitute if you are vegan or allergic to eggs.
- Butter – This adds richness and flavor to the cake. You can substitute it with coconut oil, vegetable oil, or margarine.
- Cheese – This is used as a topping and adds a salty and savory flavor to the cake. You can substitute it with cheddar cheese or any other type of cheese you prefer.
- Salted eggs – These are also used as a topping and add a salty flavor to the cake. You can substitute them with regular hard-boiled eggs or omit them altogether if you prefer.
We hope you enjoyed our Bibingka Bisaya recipe and that it brought you a taste of the Philippines. Making this delicious dessert is a wonderful way to connect with your heritage or to experience new flavors and cultures. Whether you’re serving Bibingka Bisaya at a special occasion or just enjoying it as a sweet treat, we’re sure it will become a favorite in your recipe collection. Thank you for cooking with us, and happy eating!