Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes is a rich and savory side dish that is perfect for any occasion. It’s easy to make, flavorful, and adds a touch of elegance to any meal.
Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes is a classic French side dish that is named after the city of Lyon in France. The dish is made with thinly sliced potatoes that are sautéed with butter and onions, then baked in the oven until they are lightly browned and crispy on top. The dish is finished with a drizzle of browned butter and chopped fresh parsley for added flavor and color.
The key ingredient in this dish is the Yukon Gold potato, which has a smooth and buttery texture and a slightly sweet flavor. The potatoes are sliced thinly and then rinsed in cold water to remove excess starch, which helps them cook evenly and crisp up nicely in the oven.
The dish gets its rich and savory flavor from the combination of butter and onions, which are cooked together until the onions are soft and translucent. The potatoes are then added to the skillet and tossed with the onions and butter, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste, and cooked until they are tender but not falling apart.
After the potatoes are cooked in the skillet, they are transferred to a baking dish and baked in the oven until they are lightly browned on top. This gives the dish a crispy texture and adds depth of flavor.
Finally, the dish is finished with a drizzle of browned butter and chopped fresh parsley, which adds a nutty and herbaceous flavor and makes the dish look and smell delicious.
Check out our Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes recipe! Thinly sliced potatoes, buttery onions, and fresh parsley create a rich and savory flavor that pairs well with a variety of main dishes. Follow our tips and suggestions to make this classic French side dish at home and impress your family and guests with your culinary skills. Try this mouthwatering recipe today!
- 6 medium-sized Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Rinse the slices in cold water and pat them dry.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced potatoes to the skillet and toss them with the onions and butter. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the potatoes for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are tender but not falling apart.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potato and onion mixture to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Reserve the remaining butter in the skillet.
- Bake the potatoes in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until they are lightly browned on top.
- While the potatoes are baking, return the skillet with the reserved butter to medium heat. Cook the butter until it is browned and nutty in aroma and flavor, then remove it from heat.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and drizzle the browned butter over the top. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve hot.
- Enjoy your delicious Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes!
Rated: 5.0 of 5.0 from 17 reviews.
Recipe Tags: Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes, Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes Recipe, Recipe
- Serve as a side dish: Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes makes a great side dish for grilled meats, roasted chicken, or fish. Serve the potatoes alongside your main dish for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Serve for brunch: These potatoes make a delicious addition to any brunch menu. Serve with eggs, bacon, and toast for a hearty and satisfying meal.
- Serve for holidays and special occasions: These potatoes are perfect for special occasions such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. They are easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, making them a great addition to any holiday meal.
- Serve as an appetizer: You can serve these potatoes as an appetizer by cutting them into bite-sized pieces and serving them on a platter with toothpicks. This is a great option for cocktail parties and other gatherings.
- Serve with a salad: You can also serve these potatoes with a side salad for a lighter and healthier meal. The potatoes provide a satisfying and filling component to the meal, while the salad adds freshness and crunch.
- Use Yukon Gold potatoes: This type of potato has a creamy texture and a slightly sweet flavor, which makes it perfect for this dish.
- Slice the potatoes thinly and evenly: This ensures that the potatoes cook evenly and crisp up nicely in the oven.
- Rinse the sliced potatoes in cold water: This removes excess starch, which helps the potatoes cook evenly and crisp up nicely in the oven.
- Cook the onions until they are soft and translucent: This brings out their sweetness and adds depth of flavor to the dish.
- Season the potatoes with salt and pepper: This enhances the flavor of the potatoes and onions.
- Cook the potatoes until they are tender but not falling apart: This ensures that the potatoes have a nice texture and don’t turn into mush.
- Brown the butter: This adds a nutty and savory flavor to the dish.
- Use fresh parsley: This adds a fresh and herbaceous flavor to the dish and makes it look and smell delicious.
- Serve the dish hot: This ensures that the potatoes are crispy and flavorful.
- Don’t overcrowd the skillet: This ensures that the potatoes cook evenly and don’t stick together.
- Potatoes: You can use other types of potatoes, such as red or russet potatoes, but they may have a different texture and flavor.
- Butter: You can use a plant-based butter substitute, such as vegan margarine, if you need to avoid dairy.
- Onions: You can use shallots or leeks instead of onions, but they may have a slightly different flavor.
- Parsley: You can use other herbs, such as thyme or rosemary, for a different flavor profile.
- Salt and pepper: You can use other seasonings, such as garlic powder or paprika, for additional flavor.
It’s worth noting that substituting ingredients may alter the final taste and texture of the dish. However, with some experimentation, you may be able to come up with a variation that you enjoy.
In conclusion, Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes is a classic French side dish that is easy to make and absolutely delicious. The combination of thinly sliced potatoes, buttery onions, and a touch of parsley creates a rich and savory flavor that pairs well with a variety of main dishes.
By following the tips and suggestions provided, you can make this dish at home and impress your family and guests with your culinary skills. Whether you serve it as a side dish, appetizer, or main course, Ruth’s Chris Lyonnaise Potatoes is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So why not give it a try and enjoy this mouthwatering dish today!